Wednesday, February 17, 2016

South Dakota is making the rounds today for legislating what is tantamount to a hate law.  Yes, that's what I said.  It is.  This article covers it pretty well.

If you're new to this blog, let me briefly introduce what I talk about her: gender identity (especially transgender identity) and the Bible.  I'm a trans* ally, and I believe that the Bible has friendly and supportive places for transgender individuals.  I'm also a New Testament scholar (PhD from the Graduate Theological Union).  

This law, if the South Dakota governor does not veto it, has the capacity to cause physical and emotional harm to children and youth in schools.  It tells children and youth that they do not know their own gender well enough to decide where to go to the bathroom, reinforcing labels on them that they are working hard enough against.

In terms of the Bible, this seems to all for the most basic of them all:

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12).

If you have advocacy resources for this particular topic, would you please post them below?



4 comments:

  1. So glad that you are taking a stand as a Trans* Ally on this crazy bathroom policing that is becoming so prevalent in this country. Here is a link to an article that I wrote over on my blog related to this same issue happening in Virginia. While my thoughts related to the subject are from the perspective of a transgender individual I have also shared a link to an article related to the Transgender Bathroom Myth. Be sure to check out the link.

    http://abbysactivism.blogspot.com/2016/02/virginia-anti-transgender-bathroom-bill.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I posted below instead of in response to you. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. The policing is crazy! Thanks for the link. I'll highlight it in the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For anyone interested in participating in the advocacy with just a few clicks of the button.

    https://action.aclu.org/secure/veto-hb-1008-south-dakota?redirect=vetohb1008TW&ms=TW_160217_LGBTrights_vetohb1008

    ReplyDelete