Monday, June 13, 2016

Online Bible Study -- it's Time

Hello Readers.

It's been a while.  This semester got me snowed under.  But now grades are turned in, Bible Studies written, CD made, Ordination Service commenced, and life is settling down.

Then Orlando happened.

I'm at a loss for words, like everyone.  I woke up on Sunday morning, saw the news, and switched into shock and disbelief.  I was ordained just one week prior --- it was time to put on that mantle and take care of my congregation.  Got to church, rearranged the service so that we could pause and pray for Orlando.  Not everyone had heard the news, so I broke it to the congregation and gave them time to absorb.  Right when I said the terrible news, a baby cried --- a huge blessing to be reminded of that fierce, little life.  We prayed with the beatitudes.  We revisited the prayers again at our usual prayer time.  I asked them -- pleaded almost -- to give me some news worth of celebration.  They did.  We mourned some more.

It's been a few days.  This horrific tragedy is not getting any easier -- the news and emerging details, faces, names, real people -- they're making it harder.  The cell phones ringing....my heart is breaking.

This comes right on the heels of the sermon that my lead pastor and I gave two weeks ago on why I am a passionate transgender ally.  It's a calling -- believe me, I am unlikely but called.  Here is the sermon.




So now I am planning an online Bible study that explores queer, gender non conforming and transgender identities.  This might be a mixture of "live" calls and self-paced postings -- details will emerge soon.  Your interest and participation are appreciated.  This will not be an "expert giving you information" but more of a "guide leading to group conversation and insights" approach.  I believe that this type of activity fosters community, knowledge and ultimately empowerment.

Let's love.  This is my way of contributing to putting more love out there in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment